Welcome to Crazy Town


Most of my friends here in LA have one child. Because of this, they all want to know what it’s like with two. I always answer the same: Crazy Town. It’s overwhelming and awesome at the same time, pretty much like the rest of parenthood. Since Bird is almost 5, I had a long time with just he and I. I was really sad actually, as my pregnancy came to an end, that our time together alone, our status a trio was going to be over. I had no idea how I would feel bringing a new person into the mix.  I was excited and nervous about it. When baby came, it was whirlwind, and I put my head down and just went with it. With the second, you don’t really get to “nap when the baby naps”, unless you have a staff of course, as you have the older one who still needs to be entertained, fed, dressed and bathed (we often skip the last two. don’t judge me) not to mention carting said older sibling around. I was at the YMCA 12 days after babe was born watching swim class. I would’ve thought that was insane the first time around, but really, you just do it. You know, you just do what needs to be done and deal with the fallout later. That fallout comes for me still, 8 months later. Randomly when I least expect it, and sometimes right on schedule when I do expect it. There is a laundry list that I lament; Baby A had one million pictures taken of him before he was three months old, Baby B does not get the yummy, regular nap schedule, as he’s constantly being schlepped around on errands, and to get brother to and fro, Big Brother now has to be quiet (ha), try to rein in his incredible energy (haha), and share his mama. But on the flipside, I am always trying to see the beauty and joy of two; yes, B doesn’t have 30 shots of himself in that little bird onesie, but I now have Instagram, and my phone is never far from my side (I said don’t judge me) so the shots I do get of him are awesome, and I am printing them! The nap issue; ok, let’s just skip that one, and even though A has to share me, he now has someone who would laugh with delight if he simply read the phone book!
 There are days I feel like a total failure. My lack of patience is my biggest nemesis, but there are also days when I feel like it’s gone OK, with minimal amounts of tears and tantrums (mine), and that maybe we CAN actually do this. I crawl into bed with two little bodies and just listen to them breathe and feel so grateful that it makes me cry. Then I pass out from sheer exhaustion.
Xo Melanie
*Feel free to follow our madness on Instagram @mellymonroe 

2 comments:

  1. I totally felt sad at the end of my pregnancy too!! It was just me and Jax for so long. Buddies. I wasn't sure that I could love another as much as I love him but you do, and what I wasn't expecting was how much they absolutely love each other. Being an only child now, I know having #2 was the best decision ever!! Yes there are less pics and even though shes a girl I think I actually put more effort into Jaxs wardrobe but I wouldn't change a thing. Great post Mel! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelley. Your babes are amazing, definitely best decision ever! xo

      Delete