Kids eat Kale! Say What??

Kale Love

I have a serious love affair with Kale. I could eat it every day, any way you give it to me. So when I found a kale pesto recipe, I literally couldn't make it fast enough. 

But my boy? Ha! The only green I get into him is spinach, in a smoothie (post on that soon!).
In the past he's eaten regular pesto, so I gave it a shot, and served this super yummy, kale goodness to my very culinarily challenged eater, to be rewarded with "I love it!" 
Word!
That being said, I decided to take it to the masses (preschool, eek!).
In a nutshell, the majority of them woofed it, and considering it was a group of loud, mouthy, and opinionated 3-5 year olds, I considered it a smashing success. 
This is my version.  


2 cups kale leaves (no stems)
2/3 cup toasted chopped walnuts
1/4 cup peas (cuts the bitterness of the kale a bit)
¼ cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
1/2 garlic clove, chopped
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt (I used a fine sea salt)
1/4 cup olive oil

Throw all of the ingredients into a food processor, and whiz it up!
I initially put it on rice pasta, but it was great spread on toast (me alone in the kitchen, standing over the sink, what?), and would be awesome on a pizza! If you have a picky eater, this may be the way to go, as the cheese covers the greeeeeen...
Try it, and let me know how YOUR kids like it!!
  
Adapted from the always ridiculously brilliant Weelicious.

xo Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment