THE cake to take to, or serve at your next party!

 I was invited to an egg hunt this weekend, and I wanted to bring something yummy. Instead of my usual chocolate something or other, I opted for my other go to favorite:

The Lemon, Rosemary, Olive Oil cake.

I am fortunate to have a lemon tree in my backyard here in beautiful SoCal, so I am always on the lookout for lemon recipes. This one is sunny and delicious, and Vegan to boot!
I want to share the recipe with you, so YOU can be a rockstar when you bring this beauty to your next gathering. 
3 cups plain flour
3 tbsp fresh rosemary -whizzed up in a grinder or chopped super fine
2 tsps baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup olive oil
3/4 cup rice milk
2 tsp grated lemon zest, chopped
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup canola oil
 
Icing
1 cup confectioners/powdered sugar
@ 2 tbsp lemon juice, until soupy.

Preheat the oven to 350F. Mix all of the dry ingredients into a bowl, including the rosemary. Pour in the olive oil and rice milk and beat into the dry ingredients. Add the canola oil and stir until it's thoroughly mixed. Add the lemon juice and zest and mix those in too. You can do it with out without an electric mixer.
 
Grease your cake pan with some cooking spray or oil, and pour in the batter (I use a spring form pan). For extra easy removal, I put in a piece of parchment paper cut to fit the bottom. It's thick, so bake for 35-40 minutes or until it's browned on top. Stick a knife or toothpick in and when it comes out clean, it's done!

 
 
 
 
For the icing, add lemon juice a little bit at a time to your powdered sugar until its shiny, smooth, and thinly glaze-like. 
 
 
And that's that! It's one of the tastiest cakes I make, and coming from someone who doesn't waste their time if it isn't chocolate, that's saying something!
 
 
 
*It is also really good for breakfast. 
What? you don't eat cake for breakfast??
Bon appetite! Let me know how YOURS comes out. 
Drop us a line or pop us a photo, we'd love to see it!
xo Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment