The best chocolate cake you'll ever make. No joke.

 I LOVE cake.
Love it. Want to marry it. Would eat it every single day if I could. Chocolate cake to be specific, but really, any old cake will do. I am Miranda in Sex and the City when she throws away her cake to stop eating it, only to end up eating it out of the trash. Yes, it's that bad.

While at a friend's house one day, we were jonesing for cake, but there was nary a mix in sight. I found a recipe for a chocolate cake that we JUST had all of the ingredients for, and ended up with the best chocolate cake I'd ever made. It's not fancy, it's simple, and super moist. Since then, I've tweaked it a bit, and make it for most celebrations. After getting babies down at night, I've been known to sit down with the whole cake and a fork. Who needs a plate?

Friends have been asking for the recipe, so I thought I'd share!

Ingredients
2 cups white sugar
1  3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1  1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1   1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon (optional) 
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk (I use unsweetened Rice milk)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour your favorite pan, or line your cupcake pans.
  2. In a large bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla, mix for 2 minutes on medium speed of mixer. You can also just mix by hand, but mix well... 
  3. Stir in the boiling water last. Batter will be thin. Pour evenly into the prepared pans.
  4. Bake 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until the cake tests done with a toothpick. 20 to 25 for cupcakes.
  5. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
I'm far too lazy for mixing dry ingredients in a separate bowl, so throw it all together in one, just add the boiling water LAST.
Now get ready, your friends are going to be asking YOU for the recipe! 
These also make the most amazing cake pops. Ever. 
Feel free to bring me a piece, it IS my favorite...
xo Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment